License Plates

Take Your Mines Pride for a Drive

NEW! Texas Mines License Plates

You asked for them; now they're here! Recently, the Texas DMV Board approved the official Colorado School of Mines license plate design for release in Texas. ORDER YOURS ONLINE TODAY!


  • How much do they cost? The price of the Texas plates varies based on the personalization you choose and how long you'd like to keep your plates. "Background Only" non-personalized plates cost $50 for one year, $130 for three years, $175 for five years. As an added bonus, the Mines Alumni Association receives 10% of the cost of all Texas license plates sold. Read more here.
  • Can I transfer my specialty plates to another vehicle? Yes, but some provisions apply. Read more details here.  

Make sure your contact information is up-to-date so we know you live in Texas.

Colorado Mines License Plates

Sport your Mines pride about town and out on the open road. It's easy, it's a statement, and it benefits your school and the alumni association.

Here's how it works:

  • Make a $75 tax-deductible donation* to CSMAA, and we will issue you a certificate** that you can take to your local Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
  • Bring that certificate to the DMV, where you will be charged an additional $50 fee for specialty plates, or $60 if you want personalized specialty plates.
  • Carry your Mines pride and reputation with you anywhere you go!

Make your $75 donation online or visit us at the Starzer Welcome Center at 18th and Illinois streets.

*Under a law passed in May 2008, all universities are required to charge a fee for plates, just as Mines has since program inception.

**A few more details:

  • If you order your plates online, we will email you the certificate after your card is processed.
  • Fill out the certificate exactly as it appears on your auto registration.
  • Revenue from Mines license plates supports student scholarships, graduation events and other professional development events.
  • Only valid for Colorado license plates.
  • Please note that the DMV does not offer specialty university plates for motorcycles.


Contact us at 303.273.3424 or